Monday, July 28, 2014

Good News- I've Been Adopted!- My Host Family

Secretly, I had a fear that no one would choose to host me and that I would be one of those exchange students who shuffles from one family to another every few months or so (I am not saying that it would be a bad to experience- I would just rather be able to bond with my host family and stay in one place then move around a lot and keep having to re-establish yourself).
Fortunately, that is not the case! I have been 'adopted'!

I am going to live in Kanchanaburi, Thailand for 9 months and attend Visuttharangsi high school (which is a big, old, and REALLY nice school). Kanchanaburi located about a three hour drive west of Bangkok (Thailand's capital) and seems to be a touristy city. It is home to The Bridge Over The River Kwai,  The Tiger Temple, Sai Yok National Park, The Death Railway, and many war museums and famous Buddhist temples.

I have a 16-year-old sister (one year older then me) named Nicha (her nickname is Pban), a mom and a dad. Through my interpretation of the papers I was sent about them, I know my mom works either as a receptionist or a nurse at a hospital, (my uncle is a doctor) and my dad owns his own construction business sorta thing. I will have two medium-sized dogs (a beagle and a generic Thai dog) and apparently, a chicken! My aunt, uncle, cousin, and grandma all live in a house neighboring ours.

I have been emailing and Skyping my sister (Nicha) for a while. She is so sweet, and speaks English very fluently. My parents know some basic English, but are still learning. I really hope they speak Thai around me, so I will pick up the language quickly! At school I know they teach Math and English class in English, but teach history in Thai. I wonder about Thai language class, science, or extra curricular classes like cooking, dance, wrestling, or sports?

I am immensely looking forward  to meeting my family in person and getting to see Kanchanaburi!
     Until later,
           Sawatdee-ka!
(Here are some pictures of them)

No comments:

Post a Comment